Services for Deaf & Hard of Hearing

Does Your Child Have a Hearing Loss?

If you or your family doctor suspects your child has a hearing loss, you may need to consider the following:

  • if it's a medical problem (e.g. middle ear infection), discuss problem with your family doctor
  • if it's a chronic (repeated) ear infection, your doctor may refer you to an ear specialist (E.N.T.)
  • if you or your child's teacher are concerned that your child is not hearing properly at school, the School Based Team may contact the Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing for a hearing screening
  • if the student fails the hearing screening conducted at school, the Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing will send the student & parent to the audiologist for further testing.
  • if the audiologist detects a hearing loss, the Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing is contacted directly and the teacher/school is then informed.

What Happens When the Audiologist Has Tested Your Child's Hearing?

Your child's hearing assessment will be recorded on an audiogram.  The audiogram indicates whether your child has a mild, moderate, severe or profound hearing loss.

The Audiologist's role is to determine:

  • if your child's loss is conductive (temporary) or sensorineural (permanent nerve damage)
  • if your child could benefit from a hearing aid or hearing aids
  • if the Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing with Chilliwack School District needs to be informed about your child's loss

Who is the Teacher of the Deaf & Hard of Hearing and How Will She Help Your Child?

The Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing is a teacher who:

  • has had special training in the education of students who are deaf and hard of hearing
  • will consult with parents, teachers, counsellors and administrative officers (the school based team) about your child's hearing loss
  • will provide direct service for your child IF he or she has been identified as having a hearing loss which significantly affects the child's speech, language and social/emotional development (ministry category)
  • will monitor or follow your child's progress as necessary if he/she has NOT been identified as having a ministry classification

What Can the Teacher of the Deaf & Hard of Hearing Provide For Your Child At Your Child's School?

Hearing Aid Care

  • refer and monitor audiological testing
  • monitor the use and care of hearing aids and FM systems
  • monitor the classroom listening environment

Direct Service

  • provide direct service to students based on identified learning needs
  • assess individual students in speech, language and auditory skills
  • work on development of speech, language and auditory learning skills
  • provide support to reinforce new vocabulary and concepts in the classroom

For more information call:

Cheryl Lacey, Teacher of the Deaf & Hard of Hearing
Student Services - Phone: 604.798.3733